Making sure you’re ready on the final stretch to COP27
COP26 sharpened the talk, COP27 must measure the action. The Egyptian Presidency has indicated that it will be looking for real commitments from business and signs of follow-through on previously made pledges.
Are you ready? Here is a checklist for what you should have:
- New commitments or updates on previous commitments for how your business will align with net-zero
- A participation strategy – where and how will you participate, on-site and/or virtually
- A clear engagement strategy toward all key stakeholders
- A plan for partnerships
- An advocacy and communications plan that aligns with the COP27 priorities as well as your business objectives
The Egyptian COP27 Presidency has identified a range of topics focused on enhancing implementation and raising ambition on a broad range of issues related to climate change. Egypt has further designated several thematic days for focused discussions, via side events, panel discussions and round tables. There are also other interactive formats to align on and share with the wider audience. Egypt has long prioritised climate finance and adaptation as the Global South requires technical and financial support to adapt, especially in agriculture and tourism.
Key themes that business can impact:
Increase the effort to protect our world’s natural ecosystems, respect for the indigenous and local communities that manage them. To increase sustainable practices and boost resilience to climate change.
Leverage the opportunity to adopt and transform our food and agriculture systems to get the world Paris-aligned by properly managing and shifting all farming and working lands from being carbon emitters to carbon sinks by 2030.
Strong global effort to restore our planet’s degraded land combined with an ambitious framework for biodiversity to restoring forests, wetlands, peatlands and mangroves to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Urgent action to redirect finance away from destroying our ecosystems and towards sustainable production, technologies and markets that contribute to a net zero and ultimately nature positive pathway.
RISE can offer advice on:
- Attending COP27 with the most effective engagement strategy
- Arranging speaker sessions
- Partnering with high ambition climate action groups
- Joining the Race to Zero
- Joining the Race to Resilience
- Understanding and contributing to the 2030 Sector Breakthroughs
- Supporting Climate Action Business Campaigns
- Communicating your involvement